Finally, the end!:) Well...all apart from the varnishing that is. This has been a long project, but certainly and enjoyable one for the most part. There were some stages that got a little boring, but most pieces have some portion of this. To combat this, I tend to flit around my work so I don't get too hung up or frustrated.
You can see I have finished adding to the body of platypus, trying to keep in mind the play of bubble shadows on the coat. I have also added a lot more depth to the coat and the head area. The bubbles were also added to for more definition.
The rocks drove me a little insane and I feel I could have added to them, but I had had enough and decided to stop.
All in all I'm reasonably happy. I feel some definition was lost, but this is the nature of Grevillea robusta, (silky oak). I will certainly be playing about with this timber again. I still have a wonderful slab left and already have some pictures in my head of what I can do with it.